Bonjour

Welcome to my blog!
I am a keen cook, mostly inspired by my French upbringing. My happy places are my kitchen and my garden.
I am very fortunate to run my own Cooking classes business from home.
My aim is to get people who don't cook much (or not at all) back in the kitchen, reduce processed food and use fresh and local produce...leading to a healthier life and eating habits!

Friday 23 November 2012

Sourdough Bread

Not only Sourdough bread tastes great, but it is also better for your health. Here is a page that gives (easy to understand) info on the benefits of this wonderful bread.
Sourdough doesn't use Bakers yeast like traditional ones (so it takes longer to rise) but a "starter". The starter is a mix of flour and water left to fermante so the natural yeast in the flour has time to develop.


Sourdough Bread


Ingredients
Starter:
Water and bread flour
Bread:
*        200g of starter
*        300g of flour
*        1 teaspoon of salt
*        100ml of water

How to:
Starter:
Day1: in a plastic or glass container, put one cup of water and one cup of flour. Mix together. Cover with a lid but don't close it hermetically)
Day 2: Add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water
Day 3: Add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water
Day 4: Add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water
Day 5: Add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water
From now on, the starter can be stored in the fridge and you can use it. Feed it (by adding flour and water) as you use it or once a week.



Bread:
Option 1: You can do this in the kitchen aid, Thermomix or by hand.
I usually do a longer knead to begin with then cover the dough and let it rise for at least 4 hours. I then knead again, shape it and let it rise a second time.
Option 2: Mix all the ingredients together and knead for a few minutes then:
1. Put dough on surface to knead, let rest 10 min.
2. Knead for about 15 seconds, let rest 10 min.
3. Knead for about 15 seconds, let rest 30 min.
4. Knead for about 15 seconds, let rest 1 hour.
5. Knead for about 15 seconds, let rest 2 hours.

Then you are ready for the shaping and 2nd rise. 

Bake in preheated oven at 180ÂșC

No comments:

Post a Comment